Numbers in La-Mulana are represented by a special set of numerals. The La-Mulana number system is a base-10 system that is the same as our familiar "Arabic" numerals, except that merely the symbols are different.
The numbers are used to represent various things:
- The four seals in the game are simply square blocks with a numeral from 1-4 on them:
- 1 = Conception Seal
- 2 = Birth Seal
- 3 = Life Seal
- 4 = Death Seal
- Each field has a number 0-9. Most gates have a background plaque nearby labeled with the destination field's number. This corresponds to the Grail teleport number.
- A Weighting Machine in the Mausoleum of the Giants shows the number 062, which is Lemeza´s weight.
- Some portals in the background are labeled with numbers. In order to open these, you must defeat the Guardian from the area of that number.
- Numbers are used in a puzzle in one of the lower levels of the Endless Corridor.
- In Hell Temple each room is numbered with these numbers.
The numbers are also part of the 1-to-1 character decoding scheme for the writing on the tablets.